Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday's Tasty Dinner Ideas!

Hello and Happy Tuesday!
 

I am going to start a series called "Tuesday's Tasty Dinner Ideas" in which I will post a new recipe for dinner every week from a family recipe book my dad gave me three years ago at Christmas. 
 

When I opened this little gem of a recipe book as a Christmas gift from my dad at Christmas 2010, I could not help but shed some tears (happy ones of course ;)) I opened it and there within the pages were hand-written recipes that my dad had spent hours & days spelling out for me.  I could not imagine how much time & thought was spent putting this together. There was a neat little table of contents organizing all the recipes with labels. He even added picture comic drawings for an added bonus :) I flipped through the pages ever-so-carefully taking in this gift unlike any other I had ever received in my life.  We all know the gifts that mean the most are the ones that we know people took their own time to truly make special for us-- and this was definitely one of those.
  


 Inside the pages he started out by explaining that most of the enclosed recipes are from his mother (my late Grandma Wazny) that she had given him, and he explained that when he first became a firefighter he needed to be able to cook, so he would spend time with my grandma learning them and watching her.  
 

Within each recipe there are little bits of advice & "tried and true" tidbits.  He shares little memories throughout the pages and made it a truly fun, enjoyable, and heartfelt read where you could just feel so much love.  At the time I had been married barely two years and would call him for recipe ideas and advice on how to cook meals for my family of three at the time.  I was not very experienced with cooking dinner daily, and this recipe book truly gave me the confidence and courage to start cooking more and keeping up with it.  It was a basis for go-to recipes that I knew were made hundreds of times and enjoyed by not only his generation but his mother's as well :) This is a keepsake I will forever and ever cherish and pass down to my children someday.   





Lastly, being the faith-filled man he is who has been such an inspiring dad to my own faith, he included the "Recipe for Salvation" as being the "Greatest Recipe of All Time." There are no words, as it could not be more true. And that is one of the many reasons I love him so very much <3 
 

So next Tuesday I will post the first recipe for a dinner idea from my very near and dear to my heart recipe book from my sweet dad.  And maybe you will find one you might like to try and enjoy.  <3 
 
Until next time!

6 comments:

  1. Shelby, what a great keep sake!!! I loved the glimpse into this special gift. You can tell a lot of love and thought was put into it. I loved the little note about fruit...hehe But my favorite was the recipe of salvation! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber!! & lol yes so happy you caught the fruit...that was one of my fav parts ;) thank you so much for your sweet comment! :)

      Delete
  2. Found your blog through Andrea's insta #eandajanchallange! What a sweet, sweet gift from obviously a wonderful man and father. Can't wait for the recipes and to continue reading your blog. Kelley @ 3cowboysandamommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelley!! Yayy!! So excited :) As you can tell I am JUST starting blogging more, but I am SO excited for you to follow along!! Thank you for your sweet comment! I am heading over to your blog now! :) can't wait to follow you as well :)

      Delete
  3. What an AMAZING man and an AMAZING gift!!! It is no wonder you are so sweet, between your sweet mama and your wonderful dad. I love this and can't wait to read the recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you, Andrea!! <3 <3 You just made my day ;) Thanks again!!

      Delete